Yellowing Leaves on my mystery plant.

Identification, Prevention and Cure.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Yellowing Leaves on my mystery plant.

Postby Ikaruz » 16 Dec 2011 23:35

I have a tall plant that is roughly about 6 years old. He has always been in good health, but following a move, leaves started to yellow at the tips. Roughly beginning about 8 months ago.

Now a few leaves have fully turned yellow and nearly half of the leaves are starting in from the tips.

I'm not sure what kind of plant this is because it was given as a gift, but I think it is some kind of grass or bamboo variant. It has hollow, segmented stalks with broad leaves.

Here's a picture of the current predicament. http://imgur.com/hzefl

I'd really prefer that he doesn't die. :( Mostly my plants have always responded positively to my care, but I honestly don't have any technical knowledge to help me with this problem.
Ikaruz
Clean Hands

Re: Yellowing Leaves on my mystery plant.

Postby gardening_guru » 02 Jan 2012 21:16

Hello,

Firstly I think the plant is a Dracaena and I think the species is probably dermensis. Could be a number of things causing the yellowing of the leaves. You mentioned the plant has been moved. What is different about it's new home in comparison to the old one? Has there been a tempereature change? Is it getting the same amount of sunlight? How humid is the air that surrounds the plant? Radiators and central heating usually spell trouble for houseplants.

Ideal conditions for Dracaena are minimum 55F- 60F temperature (and not large fluctuations throughout the day) , semi shade, and good air humidity, maybe sit the pot on a large basal saucer of pebbles that are kept permanently moist. I'm sure watering won't be the issue becuase you won't have changed the way you water your plants after your move.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Postby jtay123 » 24 Mar 2012 19:57

This does look like overwatering, if a plant is moved then it can “take a check” basically it is not happy and stops growing (has the position got less natural light?). This can lead to the plant been overwatered as it does not look too happy so I will give it a drink.

Take a look at the roots and make sure they are not soaking wet, if so let it dry out a little as overwatering is one of the biggest killers of Dracaena.
jtay123
Clean Hands

Postby naomikaka » 25 Oct 2012 03:56

it has lived for 6 years an now it turns to yellow. I think it is symptoms of disease of the leaves.
naomikaka
Muddy Fingers

Return to Pests and Diseases