Griselinia Evergreen Hedge

Shrubs and bushes

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby Mandy » 17 Mar 2011 11:27

We planted the above hedging about 6 years ago - it is about 4 feet high and has done very well so far. Unfortunately this winter was so cold that it has lost almost all its leaves although each plant has retained some leaves but I cannot see any new buds as yet. Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar problem and whether it is likely to survive. Thank you for any help.

Mandy
Mandy
Gardening Gloves

Postby gardening_guru » 17 Mar 2011 18:13

Hello Mandy,

Griselinia littoralis is nearly fully hardy but I'm not surprised it has been damaged during last winter. I think it will be fine if you prune back to the healthy foliage, if that means a temporarily shorter hedge, don't worry, the pruning should encourage vigorous, healthy new growth.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Postby Mandy » 18 Mar 2011 11:03

Thanks so much for the advice I will do that although two of the shrubs do look very bad with very few leaves and blackened stems. The Griselinia is the variegated variety which I believe is not quite so hardy. We live on the North Norfolk coast and the temperature went down to minus 17 a couple of times. Anyway I will do as you suggest and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Mandy
Mandy
Gardening Gloves

Return to Shrubs