Aubretia

Pots, hanging baskets and container gardening

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aubretia

Postby debale » 14 Apr 2012 08:46

HI all I am a newbie hoping for some assistance in growing Aubretia!!! I know you are probably thinking this is one of the easiest plants to grow but, I have had no/very little success with either seeds or established plants :cry: . I think it may be due to the fact that I live on the 2nd floor, directly on the sea front, facing a SW direction, totally exposed to the eliments and trying to grow this spendid plant in small window boxes!!! :roll: Looking forward to seeing this blooming on my balcony with your help :lol:
debale
Clean Hands

Re: Aubretia

Postby gardening_guru » 17 Apr 2012 08:55

Hi,

If you want to grow Aubretia from seed, you need to be able to control the temperature, 18C for about 3 weeks should be best for germination in a propagator. Also proper seed compost is needed with good drainage. If you are growing established plants, I would think soil based compost with some added grit would be ideal. I don't think the position, in the window boxes exposed to the elements is the problem. I think the compost type and quality is the most important factor.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Re: Aubretia

Postby debale » 17 Apr 2012 15:00

Hi thanks for the response. Apart from Aubretia being my favourite plant, I thought that as it grows on the Brecon Beacons my exposed position would have not been a problem. I didn't have any problems growing the seeds (indoors)but, no matter what the size they are when planted out will not survive. I was told that it could be the salt and wind? But, maybe you are right in the soil type! Do you have any suggestions with they type I should try along with added grit? :?
debale
Clean Hands

Return to Container Gardening