Sudden loss of all leaves on a weeping fig

Indoor and house plants

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sudden loss of all leaves on a weeping fig

Postby Laggan » 24 Dec 2008 11:20

All the leaves of my weeping fig suddenly dropped of whilst I was away. It has been in the conservatory for well over a year now. I am assuming it got a draught. I thought they could tolerate draughts?

Will it survive, and should I bring it into the house. Any advice most welcome.
Laggan
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 07 Jan 2009 19:43

Hello

Thank you for your question about your Weeping Fig that has dropped all of it’s leaves. Please can you tell me about the temperatures in your conservatory, is it heated in there? Am I right to suspect that the conservatory is not heated?

If the conservatory is not heated, I think your Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina) may have been shocked into dropping it’s foliage by the current very cold weather. If you consider the difference between the temperature in your conservatory now and what it was six months ago, what is the difference?

Ficus benjamina require a room temperature somewhere between 50-60F. If it is any less than this during the winter in your conservatory I would move the plant into a more suitable, warmer room. I think this should result in the growth of new foliage, but be patient.

Light levels, watering and air humidity are also important factors in the care of weeping figs. Partial shade is ideal, the plant should be allowed to dry out between waterings and be minimal during the winter months in particular. Foliage should be misted regularly or stand the pot on a tray of damp pebbles to increase air humidity around the plant.

I hope I have been of some help.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Return to Indoor Plants