help

Shrubs and bushes

Moderator: Moderator Team

help

Postby peggyparker » 30 Jul 2006 23:47

I think I have inadvertently fed my hibiscus(oiseau bleu) witj ericacious plant food....it didn't like it! plant is now all brown and crispy dropping leaves and buds.......bark is still green under a scrape..........plant is approx3ft tall(just a stick when I acquired it)and about 4yrs old. any advice would be appreciated or is it wait and see?
peggyparker
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 31 Jul 2006 20:29

Hello Peggy,

I would be surprised if you have been able to cause any serious damage to this Hibiscus just by feeding it with ericaceous plant food. However, could it be possible that it might have been over-fed, over a period of time?
I don’t want to get to scientific, but when a plant is fed too often a process called Reverse Osmosis can occur. Osmosis is best described as the movement of water from an area of weak salt concentration to an area of stronger salt concentration (from soil to plant). When plants are overfed the balance swings and the salt concentration in the soil becomes higher than in the plant(s). Reverse Osmosis therefore occurs, the water moving from the roots to the area of higher salt concentration in the soil. The result can be wilting and death. The rain this evening may save the day, as the only remedy is to water, water, water to try and dilute that salt concentration in the soil.

Hope I’ve helped,

George.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Postby peggyparker » 31 Jul 2006 21:56

thankyou Guru......will wait and see but I think it's had it !
peggyparker
Clean Hands

Return to Shrubs