What can I plant with Verbena bonariensis?

Herbaceous plants

Moderator: Moderator Team

What can I plant with Verbena bonariensis?

Postby Monica » 06 Mar 2011 20:22

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas for which plants I could use to partner with a group of Verbena bonariensis in a sunny, well drained border in my garden.

Verbena bonariensis is such a lovely perennial, they grow to about 5 feet tall in our garden. I like the grass-like habit and the purple flowers. The other day a flock of of Goldfinches were feeding on the seedheads. I also like the plant because it self-seeds everywhere, even between paving stones. I chop them down in late winter and they grow back up from the base.

If anyone has any ideas for plants that I could grow below my Verbena bonariensis I'd be grateful.
Monica
Gardening Gloves

Postby gardening_guru » 07 Mar 2011 18:52

Hello Monica,

Thinking about the colour of the flowers on Verbena bonariensisI think I would underplant it with plants that have yellow or gold flowers. When choosing plant colourstake the colour of the plant that you have already and find out what colour is opposite that on the colour wheel.

I also think the flowers and habit of Verbena bonariensis are quite informal so I would choose plants that also have an informal feel to compliment it.

4 plants that would look good with Verbena bonariensis:

Achillea 'Moonshine'

Dahlia 'Honka'

Echinacea 'Mac 'n' Cheese'

Rudbeckia fulgida var.deamii
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Return to Herbaceous Plants